"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Friday, April 16, 2010

P a t

My friend Pat has schizophrenia,
though he'll tell you he's just
crazy.
My friend Pat likes orange juice
without pulp,
and carries all his belongings
on his back
in a pack sack
my mom bought me
in 10th grade.
My friend Pat
has more bruises
than teeth
more cigarette butts in his pocket
than money.
He told me the angels don't talk to him
as much as they use to
anymore

and I believed him,

that they use to.
My friend Pat sleeps under a tree,
at Skeleton Park.
Sometimes I see people step over him,
as if he's just an inconveniently placed
pile of dog shit
and I wonder sometimes,
if that's how he feels
crawled up in his sleeping bag,
waiting for the angels
to speak to him again.
He came to church once,
but left early
because he was having a bad hair day.
He came to dinner
drunk
and read us poetry,
he unfolded from his back pocket
he found it
but there weren't really any words,
he read anyway
and I believed him
I believed the words were real
because he said they were.
My friend Pat,
he'd often speak of Marie
his old lover,
he hasn't seen in years.
I wait for Marie to come home,
wherever home may be,
and though some say she
isn't real,
I pray anyway
for her to come
quickly.
to prove them wrong.
My friend Pat,
he'd come by for a red-rose tea bag,
once a day,
and then another
just to wash his hands.
He'd tell us stories,
about his childhood
and leave abruptly,
after filling us in
on the latest conspiracy theory.
He'd keep his shoes on,
cause he claimed his shoes
were cleaner than his feet were.
He'd fall asleep in our couch,
in the middle of the afternoon,
and hide his books
under our barbie-Q.
My friend Pat,
once said he loved us
and I believed him
because I felt it
even though everyone just says he's crazy.

3 comments:

  1. this is a lovely tribute to your (and our) friend pat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Shannon.

    My favourite thing about Pat is how he always remembers my kids names. And is always so proud of himself for doing so. And I like that he considers Tim, Trace, Jase and I one big family. He can never keep straight who is married to whom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is still my favourite.

    ReplyDelete


snail coitus makes me smile