"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Monday, May 24, 2010

real

There is in my life two distinct worlds-
the "real" word, as they call it
logical, practical, tangible, painful
real, as real gets.
And the "dream world", as I imagine it,
creative, emotional, mystical, strange
surreal as surreal gets.


The second i find home,
the first, i am alien
thrust into
against myself
a foreign space to travel cautiously
with eyes closed, and fists clenched.


I float in, i drift out
between these worlds i find myself
but often
my dreams, are my powerful than my legs
and they carry me further into the imagined
further away from the world you know as real away from the judgment and the jadedness
away into a place where bravery isn't necessary
and doubt isn't possible.
It's hard to stay there,

cause the man keeps bringing me down
down down down
to the space
where they take me down
and steal my mind
corrupt my thoughts
with mindless hate and apathy
with money, with greed, with war
with indifference disguised as comfort
with complacency and the bullshit of "Independence"
These are the shackles
bound to my wrists
my ankles
tying me down down down
to earth
to ground

they can tie me ,
and try to domesticate
train
and strip me
but they can't pillage my dream
they can bind my ankles together
but they can't stop me from dancing

No, they can't tie my spirit down
down down down
cause my spirit -- it wanders
it tip toes fearlessly into the thin spaces
into the thin places
where the real
becomes the surreal

it tip toes into the hard realization
that perhaps one world is enough

perhaps these worlds - the real and the dream
collide.

Yes, they collide.

Maybe what the "real world" needs is a little more imagination
a little more dreamin
a little more heart
A hole,
in the earth
for the surreal to seep through
into the pores
and the veins of a very real world.
maybe dreams weren't ever meant to be something to escape into,
but rather something we use to confront what we're trying to escape from, in the first place.
maybe it's our dream worlds,
that can unshackle our wrists, so we can write boldly against bondage
maybe it's our dream worlds
that untie the rope around our ankles,
so we can walk courageously
into reality, towards freedom
on legs that know and resist
with each step
the tragedy of imprisonment.

Maybe it's dreaming,
that makes the real world
real
after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment


snail coitus makes me smile