"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Like Life you flow through me/and yet/my own veins and body remain oblivious to your powers.
Heart beats/and you listen/ because you are there. In me. There.
Heart aches/ and you listen/ because your job/ was to mend/not break.
But you do break/ Though your pieces/ remain the pieces of myself/ i cling to most.
These pieces/they float in me/ and like tumors they ground to the walls of my insides.
I feel you in the pain/ I feel you grow/ cell by cell.
Until you become a fear/ too BIG to remove/ too much apart of me to decipher where my flesh begins and your pieces end.
To cut you/would be to cut me/ and that is the tragedy of this love.
You become in me, a second life/ tiny and beating/ alive yet dying
No doctors could detect you/ No surgery could dissect you
but still like a tumor, you swell in me.
And instead of despair/ my fear embraces/cuddles/nurtures and delights in you
because to the world you were a secret/ but to my body you were real.
They tell me you're diseased/ They say to live without you is to heal.
But if to heal means to live without you/ than i'll remain ill/ so not to lose you.
Because in losing you/ I would be lost/ and that's the worsedisease of all.
So you grow/because I let you/ because I am bound/ in/and/to you.
You grow as I cry out your name/ You grow until your name cries out in me.
Until each breath seems to pass through you
Until each heart beat rhythms to keep you alive.
But these are lies/ the lies I create myself/ for myself
because I fear who I'll be/ once your gone.
So you grow/ you grow until you rupture/ and i am left with the mess/ of the mound you used to be.
You are the mess that oozes through me/ painfully/ through leery veins/ past a hurting heart.
Slowly you find your way out/ blood/tears/vomit and urine.
Soon you'll be gone entirely/and I'll be here mourning the loss of the space you filled in me.
But I'll let go/ Soon I'll let go/ of the pieces of myself I swore were you.
And in this loss/courage will someday find me/ and without you I will breathe/feel/step and live
without you.
and as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment


snail coitus makes me smile