"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Thursday, April 30, 2009

at breakfast

They say to see a dead body can be traumatizing. Some tell me they fear ghosts. I wonder sometimes, if Id rather see one dead body a day, than be haunted by the living bodies all around me; than to feel their not quite death, in the chains the dead ignore.
Living bodies are the ghosts-- breathing, haunting, mourning, grieving, battered, beaten, starving, throbbing.
they tell me it can be scary, to see death everyday, but dead bodies don't wear shackles.
Perhaps it's their living cries that will destroy you,
everywhere you walk, turn, rest, and think. Ghosts at breakfast. in a gym. taking a shit, in the stall beside you.

1 comment:

  1. i like that you said 'shit'.
    gusty.

    i'm proud that you're my friend :)

    ReplyDelete


snail coitus makes me smile