"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Monday, July 6, 2009

rafters

last night andrew & i took some old boxes down from the garage rafters. these boxes contained me. fragments of who i once was, reminders of those i once loved and remnants of places and i once knew as home. they contained the photos, the scraps, the scribbles, the poetry, the letters and the doodlings that shaped me. from a simple note scrawled on a napkin from a past lover, to a cryptic collection of angsty teenage journals, these boxes hold my story. we sat cross-legged on the garage floor, as i introduced andrew to my childhood and my youth. to the friends i thought i couldn't live without, and to the memories i swore id never forget, but did. reminiscing may be one of my favorite things to do in life.
it's weird, i recall seeing the pictures and keepsakes billions of times, yet somehow they've
transformed over the years and their meanings and significance have changed. i see and feel things with my adult eyes, that i hadnt in the past. part of me is amused by this, part of me terrified. looking through these boxes is especially fun with another person, because they point out odd things, that otherwise i would not notice.
andrew grudgingly brought to my attention, which i would have otherwise glanced over as normal, my utter teenage obsession with tom delonge from blink 182. it gets a little embarrassing. i was madly in love with tom. apart from the usual large collection of tom clipouts, a poster of him in a speedo with the word RAPTURE written under, and doodles of his name on all my school work, we found a ccreepy journal i did for school, where i was suppose to write from the perspective of when i was 27. in this journal i had married Tom, and because my mom thought being a punk star wasnt a promising future, i convinced this ravishing hunk to become a journalist instead. (which at the time i believed to be second best to punk star, as the sexiest profession ever). not only did we find an entire DETAILED scrapbook of the wedding i planned us (complete with pictures of the outfits, the budget, the guest list and the vows... and even a fake marriage licence where i forged his name beside mine), i even had a detailed account of the love child i mothered, whose last name was delonge as well. i suppose my unwavering love for tom was kind of creepy. we even found a crumpled up piece of paper- a letter to god which was written in sparkily brown gel pen and said: "dear lord god, i want to love and serve you forever. but please let me be a professional skate border, and please let me meet tom delonge. i love you god. i love you. amen".

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a huge crush on Alicia Silverstone. I loved those Aerosmith videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best blog post yet? Hmm...probably.

    ReplyDelete


snail coitus makes me smile