"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Monday, July 27, 2009

bound

i've always secretly been satisfied whenever people have pointed out to me that i am full of contradictions.
for a long time i wasn't sure why i felt the contradictions in my life, my identity and my values to be a source of liberation. why did they secretly make me smile...
i ran across the following paragraph the other day while reading one of my favorite books, which articulated in words the idea that ive only known through feelings, for far too long.
"our contradictions and differences are more than political obstacles: they are reminders of our boundlessness, confirmations that we can never be fully captured or circumscribed, that no label or movement can ever hope to encompass all we are or hope to be. And that diversity is our strength in the face of the familiar, tyrannical Western project to impose the monolithic, all enveloping truths that have marginalized, suppressed, and erased so many of us all in the first place"
- rikki anne wilchins.

1 comment:


snail coitus makes me smile