"The white fathers told us, "I think, therefore, I am" and the black mother within each of us – the poet – whispers in our dreams, I feel, therefore I can be free."- Audre Lorde

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jesus & the Tree Rats

Les & I just got back from Cuba!! We had an *amazing* time & experienced, as the online add promised, "unlimited emotions". It was a blissful and bra-less week of laughter, pineapples, dancing and rum. Because there are so many AWSOME memories, I decided that I will, over the next two weeks or so, post entries about specific highlights. A countdown of sorts.





So-- here is number one:

I GOT BIT BY A CUBAN HORSE! In the Knee!
This is particularly hilarious because despite my pacifist vegetarianism & love for most living creatures, i LOATHE, and have always loathed horses. We went on a jeep-excursion, and part of this out-trip included lunch at a ranch, followed by horse-back riding. Les encouraged me to take a risk and try new things- (her adventurousness is contagious), so despite my FEAR and hatred for horses i complied and went on my very first horseback ride ever.
I got a brown one. She got a white one.
white horses are the devil.

We were riding along, in the middle of no where, with two indifferent non-english-speaking cuban cowboys following behind us. it was a pretty strange scene to find myself in to begin with.
Everything was fine... my horse was trotting along side lesley's... then all of a sudden her horse turned its head, looked me in the eye, and then BIT MY KNEE. for NO reason! no reason at all! Just bit me. It hurt, but i was so surprised that all i could do was laugh. We were both laughing so hard that we could barely hold on to the saddle as our horses brought us back to the ranch.

My favorite part is that the cowboys were completely INDIFFERENT to the fact that the horse bit me. They didn't react at all. hahaha, we got off and fell to the ground in laughter.

Then a bunch of white middle aged tourists surrounded me, they were very upset by my horse bite, and didnt find it quite as funny as we did.
It was funny because this huge group of tourists encircled me, as i wiped the blood away with alchol swabs.
The main guy at the ranch said he had NEVER ever heard of any horse biting anyone before.
It was really funny.
When we were back at our villas people i didn't even know were coming up to me and asking, "hows your leg?" and "your the girl who got bit by the horse right?". haha.

Oh dear.

2 comments:

  1. i for one think that is a great story, and think you tell it quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost peed my pants. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete


snail coitus makes me smile